- there’s a long ass train and we’ve been waiting for it to pass for twenty minutes and you’re leaning out of the window of your car yelling at it so i’ll make some polite conversation au
- i’m somewhere past drunk and decidedly lost and you’re a kindly local on a nighttime outing au
- i ran away from home and knocked on the wrong door but you want to take me in anyway au
- waiting in a holding cell together for our friends to bail us out and you’re unexpectedly cool au
- are they staring at me or staring into the space around me i can’t tell and it’s intimidating au
- i come here when i want to be alone and i didn’t think anyone knew about it so where the hell did you come from au
- met you at a bar but it turns out you’re a soldier and you’re getting shipped into combat tomorrow au
- gave a running hug to the wrong person at the airport and knocked you to the ground au
- i’m a government worker and i had to seduce you for a case but i’m starting to like you legitimately au
- you came to look at the puppies i have for sale and you’re so into it that i can’t help but kneel down and help you assess them au
- walking between my s.o and you and i grabbed the wrong damn hand au
- called the wrong number and confessed my love to you in a sappy way before you could get a word in au
- we were studying across from each other in the library not acknowledging each other for hours and you passed out and fell onto my book so i’m screwed au
- Accidentally “parkoured” through your window and I have to pay you back but I’m dead broke au
- You get stuck in the weirdest places au
- Got plastered at a Halloween party but I met you and I’m kinda in love but I don’t remember your name so now I have to find you through hazy memories and a kiss au
- It’s a rainy day and I see you get get side-splashed by a car and I’m laughing so hard until I get hit too au
- Hey you! yes you! Pretend to be my S.O. to piss off my dad au
- "I’m sorry I was too mesmerized by you to see the pole. What do ya mean I’m bleeding?" au
- Random Karaoke partner night and we sound heavenly together au
- We’re new next door neighbors whose roofs out the window are close enough to have a little patio
- Drunkenly sold my soul to a demon and now I’m their bitch but this might be not so bad au
- The train is always crowded and I don’t mind if you sit on my lap even if we sit like this for a month au
- I did not know I had a piercing fetish before you au
- Airport messed up so now we’re the only two passengers on the plane au
- You’re so beautiful I did a spit-take. All over you. Hi my name’s embarrassing idiot why don’t I pay for the laundry au
- I caught a home-run ball can you sign it for me please au
- You’re an Angel and I’m a Demon and we met while hiding in human form and I love you au
- We got knocked down a hill by a car accident and we’re not in too good shape but rescue’s coming in a day…or 3 au
OKAY aro-spectrum ace person here to talk about aro and/or ace viv stuff i’ve been seeing around
Two words: Please don’t.
To my fellow white people, who are not aro and/or ace, do NOT do this.
You guys NEVER do aro or ace headcanons for characters you care about. Look at Varric. How many of you gave him aro/ace headcanons either time they announced he was unromancable? How many of you instead went ‘oh I’m ignoring that he’s dating my hawke/inquisitor anyway?’.
The only time I see even a token aro or ace headcanon by people who aren’t is ALWAYS for characters that are considered unappealing, ala Wynne. It’s almost a joke at this point how this happens in so many fandoms. Aro and/or ace headcanons are given to the old characters, the unappealing ones.
Giving them to attractive characters is often proclaimed a ‘waste’ and people get hate for it: check out the whole incident where people just JOKED about Blackwall being ace, whereas before people started liking Solas, there wasn’t a peep against ace solas headcanons.
So you guys jumping up to say that about Vivienne is incredibly suspicious and not cool. The only time you do this stuff for a young and attractive unromanceable is when they’re a black woman?
Even though she ended up non-romanceable, the ace Vivienne ‘rumors’ came even after the devs declared there were no ace characters in the game definitely came from a place of racism in the fandom, the old ‘black women don’t need no man, black women are too ‘cool’ for romance ala Sleepy Hollow, etc.’ as a way to keep black women out of romance or to prevent characters being attracted to them.
Added to the fact that most of non-aces/aro people I see saying this DON’T EVEN KNOW THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN ARO AND ACE.
To people who do not know: Aromantic is a romantic identity that means you aren’t into romance. Asexuality is a sexual identity that means you don’t experience attraction.
They are combine-able, but not interchangeable. Do not use one to mean the other. You mistaking them because you couldn’t even google the difference or think they’re the same thing only makes it even more obvious you’re using our identities as a tool to get characters you don’t want out of the way, and to use it as an excuse that you’re adding more ‘diversity’.
tl;dr Do not give aro and/ace headcanons to characters you do not want so you seem ‘progressive’. Do not use our romantic and/or sexual identity to use for the sake of perpetuating racism. Do no use us as a tool, then reject us all the time otherwise.
aro ace [white] woman here to add on:
this is something even aro/ace people can be out of line on (and often are). If you’re white, you really need to read up on race issues within aro and ace circles and watch your step as hard as you can.
take note of the trends in racialized aro/ace headcanons and the intentions behind them and how people weaponize these to discard characters they don’t care about or want out of the way of a ship (while hoping for representation brownie points at the same time)
This is a trope written into the game with grossly negligent and harmful intent. Vivienne is the only nonromanceable companion or advisor character that doesn’t have a past relationship that they’ve announced or is not a demon-infested corpse. That is not a coincidence.
listen to the people of color in the fandom—particularly black fans, particularly black female fans—and do your research and think twice before diving headfirst into the same problematic shit the writers are swimming in
fellow ace and aro [white] people: watch out for and listen to people of color in your community and read up on what they’ve already written on this issue. Just cause we’re aro/ace doesn’t mean we can do no wrong on this.
allo people: don’t you even fucking dare try to use us to cover up your racism, especially since you were so vehemently opposed to us even joking about a character you liked being ace. you aren’t fooling anyone and we are not your playthings